Monday, June 1, 2009

I named it "Pidgee"


If I see an animal in need, I help it. This has always been my nature. I'm not much of a bird lover, but they're animals, none the less, so I feel I am required to help them too.

On Memorial Day, I spotted a pigeon standing on my neighbors' drive-way. It was one of those pigeons you see on the sidewalk in downtown Chicago. We don't normally have those hanging out in our subdivision. I walked up to it and noticed it had bands on it's legs. I figured it belonged to someone, but I know nothing about pigeons. Hoping it would fly away, I left it alone. Later that day, it was in a different neighbors' backyard (next door to us). I decided to capture it and keep it in a cat carrier overnight. I was a little hesitant to catch the bird since I didn't know what it's reaction would be. It turns out that it had an injured wing, so it was pretty easy to capture. I put it in a carrier, gave it some bread, and named it "Pidgee".

The next morning, I started out by calling our county's animal control. I have very little respect for them due to previous experiences, but I figured I'd see if they could put me in the right direction. I mentioned the bands that were on the bird's legs and the guy told me it must be a racing pigeon. I almost fell over. I had NO idea there was such a thing! He told me I had to get the number off the band and look it up online to locate the owner. Seriously.

After I wrote down the number from the band, I found the pigeon union online. Yes, there is a racing pigeon union! They're located in Pennsylvania. So I made a long distance call and was told I had to call the supplier of the band. They gave me the "owner's" name and number. These people told me that they no longer owned the pigeon and it belonged to someone else. After I had this injured bird for 24 hours, I decided to contact the pigeon union. I was concerned not only because I didn't know the extent of Pidgee's injuries, but he also wasn't eating. I was referred to a member of the union that lives near me that would probably help me out. When I talked to him on the phone he sounded like the oldest man that ever lived! He's been racing pigeons for 50 years! He was very nice and helpful and came to rescue Pidgee. He said Pidgee probably ran into the power lines across the street from us and assured me he'd be okay.

The whole ordeal still seems unreal to me. I still can't believe people race pigeons! To each his own, I guess.

No comments: