Sunday, July 27, 2008

Oswego bike ride


Last year we got a team together at work to ride in the Oswego Chamber of Commerce organized bike ride. You have the option of riding 25, 75, or 100 miles. We chose to ride 25 miles. Considering I had never ridden more than 5 miles at once, it was tough to do 25, but it gave me a real sense of accomplishment. It was fun to meet up with my work friends at the rest area at the half-way point and take in some fuel for the ride back. We also get shirts and goody bags for participating. I had a better understanding of why my brother keeps running marathons. You get a real high after something like that. So we continued to look for different organized rides to participate in. We have another one coming up in October that we rode last year also. It's called the Pumpkin Pedal.

Today was the day of the Oswego ride. But this year I only rode 7 miles. That's the distance of the family trail ride. I held back so I could have Justin ride with me. He frequently joins me for rides around the neighborhood. We'll usually go about 5 miles. I didn't want him to try going 25 miles, even though he probably could. A shirt was provided for him so that everyone knew he was part of the River Heights Veterinary Clinic Bike Team. We rode along the Fox River which was very scenic and had some fun hills. Justin said it was easy. I agree. I'm hoping Kyle can join us next year.
This photo is of us before the ride (disregard Justin's squinting). Love the helmets!