Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gifts from above



Unfortunately, all of the earnings from the sale of my grandparents' former home had to go towards my grandma's "rent" at the nursing home the last five years. But my grandpa had a small life insurance policy for my grandma. My mom and her two sisters split the amount evenly and received their checks a couple days ago. My mom insisted on sharing some of it with Justin and Kyle so that they had a last gift from their Great Grandma. My mom said it was Great Grandma's way of saying thank you for visiting her. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure my mom feels a little weird about having this money. I know she became upset when it came to her. It probably helped her to come over to my house and hand over $250 in cash to her grandsons. Their eyes almost popped out of their heads!!! They had never held a $100 bill in their hands before! Then it was off to Target's Lego aisle...
Justin and Kyle knew about this ahead of time so they had time to plan. Since they're obsessed with Legos and had just gotten a new Lego magazine in the mail, they knew exactly what they were after! They both chose Star Wars Clone Wars products. Justin's is a total of 1034 pieces, Kyle's is 799 pieces. They're BIG!!!
I admit it was fun to see them go in and grab the huge boxes. Whenever we go to a store with toys, we stop in the Lego aisle. The boys stand there and gawk at the large items. Those are reserved for Christmas and birthdays, but not this time! My mom came to the store with us to buy them. I know she enjoyed the moment as well.
Thank you to Grandma B. and Great Grandma N. for such special gifts! They will be appreciated for a long time to come.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

At the beginning of Kathy's blog she uses the term "unfortunately".She only means that it was unfortunate that mom had to be in a "home" instead of with us.

Kathy said...

That is correct. This was a difficult post for me to write and I wasn't sure how to start.